Social Media 101 Part 4: Send In The Acronyms
Jargon of any form can be tough to understand. No one person could possibly be able to keep up with the language of their own industry and then be expected to keep up with it all in social media – an industry that changes rapidly. Heck, no one can keep track of it all.
We didn’t know what COB stands for if it doesn’t stand for Close Of Business. Then Chicken Parm CFO Guy tells us it also means Contractor On Billing. Who knew? Besides financey types, I mean.
Why should you be expected to know what it means when you are asked what the CPC is for your latest campaign?
- KPI (Key Performance Indicator) is a metric used to measure success in achieving goals. For social media, this usually means engagement, conversions, shares or clicks, depending on your goals. Social media has many tools for measuring and analyzing your success. Keep your eye on the prize by identifying your KPIs, then track, analyze and optimize your content regularly
- CTA (Call to Action): What are you trying to get your reader to do? Click? Follow? Buy? Your CTA should drive consumers down the right road.
- CPC (Cost Per Click): The amount an advertiser pays for every click on an ad.
- CPM (Cost Per Thousand): Calculates your total spend by the number of ad impressions served (instead of clicks).
- CTR (Click Through Rate): A measurement used to determine a conversion rate where the action in question is clicking on a link.
- SEM (Search Engine Marketing): How you leverage search engines to drive marketing objectives.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization): A form of SEM, specifically referring to designing your content so that your work appears high in search rankings for your most powerful search terms.
- SMO (Social Media Optimization): Optimizing your social media marketing to drive traffic from sources other than search engines. A bonus is that your social activity, done properly, can improve your search rankings.
- AMA (Ask Me Anything): People use this to prompt questions from their fans and followers.
You really can ask us anything. I'm a classic over-sharer.
Next Up: Trends, trends, everywhere trends.
While we're at it...what are all those acronyms my kids use in the middle of "sentences"?
TBH AFAIK, most of the time I think “TL;DR”. YOLO, IDC to spend time trying to figure it all out. JK, it's NBD. KIT!*
Oh and I’ve been told to stop saying things are on fleek or someone is savage.
No one says that anymore. Or they don't want me to say it. Burn.
* To be honest, as far as I know, most of the time I think “Too Long, Didn’t Read”. You only live once, I don’t care to spend time trying to figure it all out. Just kidding, it’s no big deal. Keep in touch!